Something old; something new. If you’re anything like this month’s Backthird DJ couples, it’s not just a description of your wedding attire – it’s also your reception’s dance playlist.
Each Monday, we ask one question of our Chicago DJs: Which songs killed it on your dance floors this past weekend? If June’s dance hits are anything to go by, you’ll want to load your own playlist with some goodies from every era.
First, a few disclaimers:
- This list is NOT scientific. If you want to know which songs are stastically popular across the country, there are plenty of other places to look. There are just our DJs’ memories of what happened with one particular group of guests at one particular event over the last few weeks. And what happened was, those guests partied down.
- It’s not just what you play; it’s also when you play it. Some of the songs below might be terrible with a different crowd – or even with the same crowd, played at a different time of night. That’s what makes DJs are better than jukeboxes: They’ve learned to take your requests, read your dance floor, and then put your music in the right context to make it a party.
Here’s how we did that last month:
DJ Jack Murray
1. Get Up Offa That Thing – James Brown
2. Gangsta’s Paradise – Coolio
3. Africa – Toto
DJ Scott Krema
1. We Found Love – Rihanna
2. Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison
3. American Pie – Don McLean
DJ Stephen Vaughn
1. Take Me Out – Franz Ferdinand
2. Shout (Animal House Version) – Otis Day & the Knights
3. You Shook Me All Night Long – AC/DC
DJ Andrew McGarvey
1. Shut Up and Dance – Walk the Moon
2. Toxic – Britney Spears
3. At Last – Etta James
DJ Keaton Michael
1. Freaky Friday – Lil Dicky
2. Wobble – V.I.C.
3. Jackie Chan – Post Malone (Tiesto remix)
Want more ideas from our wedding DJs in Chicago? Subscribe to this blog.